There are situations when you want to create a map with selected tracks and share this map with your customer as a proof of work done, for example, a flyer distribution or leaf and dirt cleaners.
MyCarTracks offers you a way how you can easily select recorded tracks and create a shared map with these selected tracks. You can do that by following these steps:
- In the web application go to Tracks
- Here use the Adjust filter button to filter out tracks for easier search
- Now you can select any track that you want to share with a checkbox that is on the right near every track:
Hint: To select all tracks, use the Select all button above the tracks.
- After you’re satisfied with your selection click on the + button on the top and select Create shared map option:
By default, only 10 tracks are shown per page. If you want to select more than 10 tracks, scroll down below all tracks and change the total tracks on one page with the dropdown on the right. If you still need to select more tracks from more pages read until the end and then below is described how to do that.
- This will create a shareable link and redirect you to existing shared maps. You can access this list anytime from Map > Map sharing menu:
- You can now copy this new link and send it to your customer.
- Repeat the steps from the above instructions and create several shared maps each with different tracks.
- Now go to Map > Map sharing and use the checkboxes to select the shares that you want to have on one map.
- Click on the Merge selected button above the list. It will ask you if you want to merge and leave or merge and delete the selected shares.
- This will create a new share with all the tracks from selected sharings.
Advanced feature-rich map with Google My Maps
Google My Maps offers you the ability to create a map with tracks that are then selectable with details and also offers the ability to add custom layers or draw zones on the map. This map can be then also shared with your customers. Follow these steps to create such a map:
- In MyCarTracks web application go to Map > Map sharing.
- Scroll to the sharing from which you want to create Google Maps. On the right click on the three dots button and select Download KML:
- Now that the KML is downloaded to your computer you need to continue with Google Maps. Log in to your Google Drive.
- Click the + New button and select More > Google My Maps
- On the top right click on Untitled map and set some meaningful name.
- Then click on Import. This will show a window where you can drag and drop KML files.
- Drag and drop or use the Select a file from your device button and locate the KML file you downloaded in steps 1 – 2.
- This will import all the tracks and draws them on the map. If you want to add another layer with more tracks use the Add layer button in the left panel. You can also individually change colors of each track or add more details like photos to any track.
- With Add layer, you can also create a layer on which you can draw a zone with the draw line button located below the search bar – see above the orange zone that was drawn.
- After you’re satisfied with the result to use the Preview to view how your customer will see the map or Share button to send the link to the customer.